HELLO FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!

So glad you've come to visit us today!! Please leave a comment so we know you've been by!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

3rd baby syndrome??

Well, Carter had his 9-month checkup today.  Passed with flying colors EXCEPT he has not gained any weight in the past 3 months. His weight at 6 months was 17lbs, and his weight today was 17lbs 2.5oz.  He's otherwise growing very well, which I can tell without numbers because quite simply he's completely outgrowing his clothes! I explained his typical feeding schedule.  Nursing 4 times a day, eats puffs/cheerios every meal, and getting baby food (usually 2 bowls full) at dinner and/or lunch. Sometimes. Dr's orders were to really feed him full {baby} meals regularly for the next 2 weeks and come back for a weight check.  {if he still doesn't gain weight he'll have to get blood drawn} So we came home and did just that.  2 bowls of food right away.  And we'll remember to feed him at dinner. And breakfast. And lunch. And dinner. And so on...

It's so hard to be intentional about this stuff, come third baby.  I'm so busy preparing meals, serving meals, fetching things for everyone, attempting to feed myself, then cleaning up ,that sitting down and preparing baby food also {as easy as it is) is just another thing to add into the day.  Too easy to just skip.  Because obviously the baby is happy as he is.  

We don't do baby food consistently, we don't do regular baths, we don't read enough with the baby, we don't have a baby memory book {yet}, we hardly ever take video clips, and I certainly don't do this anymore!  My, how life has changed!

BUT we do love Carter just as much!  SO MUCH!  And so, I vow today to remember to feed the poor child his baby food.  =)


P.S.  I'm not actually worried about Carter's lack of weight gain.  I'm pretty sure it's just the result of him being so mobile now and our lack of consistency with his meals.  Give him 2 weeks of bulking him up, and I think he'll be fine.  But pray that it is just that. 

6 comments:

Angie said...

I can so relate. When we started rice cereal with Gabe, I did it one day and remembered like 5 days later that I had started it. Whoops. Not only that, but the first day I did it Ben asked how much he ate and I replied, "I dunno. I just fed him until I got bored." Ha! Poor little babes! ;)

Sharon said...

Is he consistent w/ the percentile he's always been in?
Aidan was only 16 pounds at a year, but that was just him, a petite lil guy. I hate when doctors get so caught up in the #s. Is he HEALTHY?
Plus, he's probably moving more, right? Pulling to standing, trying to crawl, etc?

cryssi said...

Sarah, I will pray that that is all it is...and I'm sure that is all it is. You are a good mom and your not starving your baby. He is at a point in his growing that he really should slow down on either height or weight...All 3 of my kids lost weight between 6mths and 1 yr. They were just more active with crawling and walking and they weren't eating any less, they were actually eating more but their metabolism had kicked into high gear with their being so active... I'm sure he will be fine but will keep yall in my prayers...

Blessings
Crystal

In Light of the Truth... said...

Sharon--he did drop the curve he was cruising on. But he's very healthy. So far he's only had a little cold a couple weeks ago but NOTHING otherwise. And he did just get a flu shot yesterday cuz the Dr really didn't want him to lose weight if he were to get sick. He's just a big mover and doesn't always nurse great because he's more interested in what's going on in the room. All very normal things!

Crystal--good to know other babies lose weight at this age too! Thanks for your prayers though!

Amy said...

Definitely third baby syndrome, I can so relate. Sam dropped off his curve right around the same time and today when we went back to the doctor for weight and such he was right back where he should be. It was VERY hard to work in baby foods to his schedule with the demands of everything else going on. I very rarely fed him a full bowl of oatmeal or baby cereal. :( He pretty much went straight from milk to regular food just because of the time constrains. But I also found that once he started to move and cruise he really wasn't interested in eating that much, and I guess I just never forced the idea. But once he got better at eating regular foods (i.e. more teeth and such) he started to bulk right back up. So yea, sounds familiar...

Bethany said...

You just made me giggle because I remember reading your original post about charting Eli's baby food! My THIRD was just over a year at that point and so NOW you know what I was thinking.... how in the world does she have time to be doing all that?!
As long as he's healthy right?!